http://monterovictims.blogspot.com

General BS, chit-chat and non-golf topics

Moderators: parteeboy, ssp, jick, w2, xxio, Jack aMMo, judaschylde, leftys59, golpher, Dandy, weed_whacker, tjgato, qt_arvin

Re: http://monterovictims.blogspot.com

Postby dutch15 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:36 pm

UnggawaCheeta wrote:i don't work for Mitsu and I'm not apoligising for them, all Im saying is this: if there is indeed a problem with the Montero Transmission AND accelerator pedal, (kasi naka park daw, tapos nag high rev, tapos tumakbo), then why then has this not occurred decades that the L200 Strada and the Mitsubishi Pajero Fieldmaster, of which they share if not chassis platforms, engine and transmission platforms, have been in service?

just curious... again, if it were a chronic problem, more than the number of complaints should emerge, I also am curious as to the timing, like i said, bago mag launch ng 2012 Fortuner, don na naman nag silabasan ng sudden acceleration issues...

there are always 2 sides of the coin, if we don't ask, if we don't challenge, then we are just sheep

It seems you misread my post!

The driver of the Montero after smashing into the 2 Fortuners shifted the gear from D to P (park position) and went down from the car. Even though he was already out of the Montero and with no one stepping on the accelerator pedal it was still revving at a high rate. Mahirap ba intindihin yun?

If you bothered reading the entire article including that of the Manila Standard, the SA incidents have been happening since 2010 and there was no 2012 Fortuner yet. The only reason it became public is because of the numerous SA accidents that have occurred and the people involved in these accidents are still wondering why and what happened. In the US, the sudden acceleration issue became national because a person died. Hindi naman ganyan kalakas ang making ng Montero para Hindi kayanin ng break. Yung Fortuner hindi issue dito kasi napakahina ng making. Kung Santa Fe pa yan mAn maniwala ako sa comparison mo.

The Pajero and old Estrada di naman naka VGT makina nila.

I have nothing against the Montero Sports, I just shared this article to keep people informed.
Image[
dutch15

Postby Samurai X » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:15 pm

ev0six wrote:Its driver error. New montero's are still operated by a physical throttle cable and not fly-by-wire (which was a supposed problem with the toyota recalls in the US). I don't see the relation also with the EGR since the EGR port is passed the throttle body and just touches the intake manifold. But non the less i own the counter part Strada VGT which shares the same motor/transmission as the montero and havent had any sudden acceleration problems in the 40k kilometers i've used it.

On the contrary, the Montero Sport has an electronic throttle system NOT merely cable operated. See Mitsubishi's official statement regarding the unintended acceleration issue. MItsubishi clearly indicates that the Montero Sport has an electronic throttle system. Please be careful with your presentation of facts.

http://www.topgear.com.ph/news/mitsubis ... tion-cases
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."

Vince Lombardi
Samurai X

Postby Samurai X » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:41 pm

UnggawaCheeta wrote:i don't work for Mitsu and I'm not apoligising for them, all Im saying is this: if there is indeed a problem with the Montero Transmission AND accelerator pedal, (kasi naka park daw, tapos nag high rev, tapos tumakbo), then why then has this not occurred decades that the L200 Strada and the Mitsubishi Pajero Fieldmaster, of which they share if not chassis platforms, engine and transmission platforms, have been in service?

If we are to use your logic, then the well documented and clearly established sudden acceleration issues of Lexus a couple of years ago were all a result of driver error since the Lexus shares the same platform as the Camry and there is no such thing as a lemon. All lemon laws should be repealed then for being unnecessary. Toyota issued a massive recall to replace pedal assemblies and paid a hefty fine to the US government.

Granted, there may be cases of driver error and probably some opportunistic individuals, it is error to simply dismiss these reports without conducting an independent scientific review of these reports.

That being said, based on the report of the US Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), with the help of NASA, the alleged defects on Toyota's electronic throttle system was inconclusive. However, the report recommended further studies on additional safety measures (e.g., brake override systems, or emergency push button stops).

http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/nvs/pd ... report.pdf
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."

Vince Lombardi
Samurai X

Postby dutch15 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:55 pm

Samurai X wrote:

If we are to use your logic, then the well documented and clearly established sudden acceleration issues of Lexus a couple of years ago were all a result of driver error since the Lexus shares the same platform as the Camry and there is no such thing as a lemon. All lemon laws should be repealed then for being unnecessary. Toyota issued a massive recall to replace pedal assemblies and paid a hefty fine to the US government.

Granted, there may be cases of driver error and probably some opportunistic individuals, it is error to simply dismiss these reports without conducting an independent scientific review of these reports.

That being said, based on the report of the US Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), with the help of NASA, the alleged defects on Toyota's electronic throttle system was inconclusive. However, the report recommended further studies on additional safety measures (e.g., brake override systems, or emergency push button stops).

http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/nvs/pd ... report.pdf

Very well said C!
Image[
dutch15

Postby Eddel '84 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:29 pm

UnggawaCheeta wrote:
I've asked my dealer, who is a friend, and my former classmate who has an insurance company, it's a non-issue, vicious tsimis...

I'll rather if you did not use the word tsismis, we heard the stories directly from our friends who are real people and who experienced the real fear and agony of these accidents. Some of them with their families too.

Let us open up and be truthful in our views, to those who have gotten good units no matter what brand, let us be happy for them, but for those who got lemons no matter what brand let us help them find avenues to avoid injuries and fatalities to themselves and their love ones. :|
10.5* EPON AF-101 w/ Bassara Red 43g HT Reg.
EPON AF-202 3W HT with Tour AD EV-5R2
TM R7 Draw 5W and 7W SR Flex
Fourteen TC550 w/ KBS tour SS 2X
Mizuno MP-R 54*, Mizuno MP-T 58*
Bettinardi Queen B2

" it ain't long but it ain't wrong"
Eddel '84

Postby bigboy3233 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:51 am

this is what i have to say about this issue. MMC has been languishing at the bottom of the pack in terms of passenger car sales for the past 2 decades. They hit the jackpot with the beauty of the design and the relatively affordable price of the Montero Sport. Because of this they went from bottom of the pack to top 4 in car sales for the past 3 years. I'm sure that they will do all they can to hide this fault because if they admit it, they'll go back to bottom of the pack.
bigboy3233

Postby Shambles » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:16 am

Thankfully, the existence of the Internet and local discussion groups as well as the ease of creating blogs has provided us media with which to voice complaints and queries. Rather sad that, on the whole, these media still communicate via aliases but at the very least issues are better aired than in the past wherein the only means of reaching the public were via media that was beholden to advertisers. The manufacturers of defective products can just as easily avail of the same media, thus the grounds are reasonably level these days. We are not nearly as subject to lies and deceptions as in the past.

Shambles
Shambles

Postby conskc » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:20 am

UnggawaCheeta wrote:I've asked my dealer, who is a friend, and my former classmate who has an insurance company, it's a non-issue, vicious tsimis...

After reading your post last night, I wrote a scathing reply specifically with regards to this sentence of yours. Unfortunately, something happened and my reply didn't get posted after clicking on the "Submit" button. I stopped myself from writing it again and thought it best to just let it go. Guess what, I still can't get over it.

Your arrogant and irresponsible remark that all these are vicious "tsimis" is basically saying that our family friend and Sam X's officemate, people who have personally experienced the tragic SA incidents with their Montero Sport, are liars. If you neither have any personal experience on this nor do you personally know anyone who did, then I suggest you buy a Thesaurus and choose your words more carefully before making arrogant and irresponsible sweeping generalizations on the contrary. Common sense dictates that your references (car dealer friend and insurance company owner classmate) are naturally from the other side of the coin, thus their denial on this issue. Why can't you just be happy and thankful that you drive a good Montero Sport unit???
"A great shot is when you pull it off, a smart shot is when you don’t have the guts to try it.” -- Phil Mickelson, 2010 Masters
conskc

Postby dutch15 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:36 am

conskc wrote:
UnggawaCheeta wrote:I've asked my dealer, who is a friend, and my former classmate who has an insurance company, it's a non-issue, vicious tsimis...

After reading your post last night, I wrote a scathing reply specifically with regards to this sentence of yours. Unfortunately, something happened and my reply didn't get posted after clicking on the "Submit" button. I stopped myself from writing it again and thought it best to just let it go. Guess what, I still can't get over it.

Your arrogant and irresponsible remark that all these are vicious "tsimis" is basically saying that our family friend and Sam X's officemate, people who have personally experienced the tragic SA incidents with their Montero Sport, are liars. If you neither have any personal experience on this nor do you personally know anyone who did, then I suggest you buy a Thesaurus and choose your words more carefully before making arrogant and irresponsible sweeping generalizations on the contrary. Common sense dictates that your references (car dealer friend and insurance company owner classmate) are naturally from the other side of the coin, thus their denial on this issue. Why can't you just be happy and thankful that you drive a good Montero Sport unit???

+1
Image[
dutch15

Postby rlv » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:01 pm

Paul, thanks for posting this.

I forwarded this to some friends who are executives of the SMC-Purefoods group because many of them are using this car. They are glad that they haven't experienced this trouble.

I also forwarded it to a friend who is planning to buy a new car, and Montero is one of his options. Well, actually, leaning towards buying a Montero. I told him to just read and study it, but final decision will still be his. He called me a while ago to thank me for forwarding the blog to him. He said that when he read the content of the blog, he was skeptical about it.

This weekend, he had lunch with one of his stockholders/directors (this friend of mine is the president of the company). He mentioned the blog/news to his stockholder, and was telling him that it is impossible to believe and maybe someone is just making bad PR for the Montero because of its success. My friend was schocked when his stockholder told him that the problem actually happened to him (stockholder). As per the story told to him, his stockholder with his wife rode the car and started it. After shifting the gear to drive, the sudden acceleration happened. Good that he did not panic and saw an empty construction site and headed the car there. Luckily, there were no workers that time and there was a pile of gravel so he used it to try to stop the car, and had the presence of mind to USE THE HAND BREAK. After the Montero stopped, he was thinking that it was already OK, so he put the gear in Reverse, and same as the other stories, there was sudden acceleration again! By this time, he already knows that USING THE HAND BREAK works, so he did it again. After the incident, the guy was so nervous and did not want to use the car anymore so he called his sales rep and asked him to just pick up the car. So they did and brought it to their casa. After a few days, the rep called the guy to tell him that his Montero his OK. He asked the guy what was the problem and what repair did they do. He was told that there was NO PROBLEM and NO REPAIR was done. The guy could not believe it and is still very nervous in using the Montero. He is now trying to sell it.

My friend, after learning this story, now fully believes the content of the blog and he said that we will never buy a Montero.

The problem with Mitsubishi Motors now is its reputation after the cover-up incident in Japan. After it was out in the open, Japanese people could not believe it. They were mad. People died and the company never made announcement about the problem of the cars they were producing. The company was castigated by the Japanese government for it, and I think was penalized.

In Japan, Mitsubishi is not very popular. I am not sure it it ranks #4 or #5 (or even lowerr?) in terms of market share for passenger cars. Toyota, as you know, has the biggest pie of the market, followed by Nissan, then by Honda.

"Look Good, Feel Good, Play Good" - IJP

Adams 9064LS Tour AD DI
JDM Cleveland 3W FL
JDM Hybore XLS 16*
Kasco Power Tornado 44 19*
Yonex eZone 22*
PRGR TR 900 MD M43
Titleist Vokey 52*, 58* DG S200
2-Ball Blade
rlv

Postby rlv » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:38 pm

I just found out that Mitsubishi is not part of the top 5 (in Japan). It's actually:
1. Toyota
2. Nissan
3. Honda
4. Mazda
5. Fuji Heavy Industries

For Golf Clubs, the ranking is as follows:
1. SRI Sports (Srixon, XXIO, Cleveland)
2. Bridgestone Sports (Tourstage, Bridgestone, Reygrande)
3. Yokohama Rubber (PRGR)
4. Taylormade
5. Callaway

Adams 9064LS Tour AD DI
JDM Cleveland 3W FL
JDM Hybore XLS 16*
Yonex eZone 22*
PRGR TR 900 MD M43
2-Ball Blade
rlv

Postby pcapiz » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:35 pm

The SA victim in Ayala Alabang is a friend of mine and a director of NGAP. Thankfully no one was seriously hurt as it happend inside his garage. The Montero came from his neighbors house and totalled both his cars. I've seen pictures of the aftermath and can honestly say that The Montero was in full acceleration when it hit the two parked cars hitting the ford expedition first then a E320 MB. The expedition as we all know is a full sized SUV and was parked side by side with the MB which is a midsized sedan. The montero hit the left front fender of the ford causing it to move sideways then hitting the MB causing it to hit an adjacent wall. The driver tried to steer clear but to no avail.
Callaway X HOT 9.5
Callaway Razr hawk DJ7 15 deg.
Callaway razr X 21 deg.
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 24
Callaway 07 X Forged
Callaway X forged wedges 52/58/60
Rossa Corza Ghost
[/color]
"Kung maiksi drive mo lakasan mo palo sa susunod!!"
pcapiz

Postby rlv » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:17 am

Trivia:
Japanese employees of Mitsubishi Coporation Manila Branch (the trading company of Mitsubishi Corp. Japan and in-charge of most of Mitsubishi group's investments in the Philippines) DO NOT USE Mitsubishi cars.

Adams 9064LS Tour AD DI
JDM Cleveland 3W FL
JDM Hybore XLS 16*
Yonex eZone 22*
PRGR TR 900 MD M43
2-Ball Blade
rlv

Postby parteeboy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:28 am

rlv wrote:Trivia:
Japanese employees of Mitsubishi Coporation Manila Branch (the trading company of Mitsubishi Corp. Japan and in-charge of most of Mitsubishi group's investments in the Philippines) DO NOT USE Mitsubishi cars.

What do they use? Toyota? That's like Pepsi employees drinking coke. Wonder what would happen to a Ford employee if he started driving a GM?
Cleveland DST Tour 10.5°
TM R9 3-wood 15°
Kasco Power Tornado 44 19°
MP-68 4-PW
TM xFT 52.09° & 58.12°
Bettinardi C-02h or Odyssey Tri-Ball SRT 33"
parteeboy

Postby dokol » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:49 am

Reading all these accidents made me realize to just keep my vintage car. At least the only problem it has is it wont start frequently. :rotfl: :rotfl: no accidents there; plus the only injury i get is a headache. :rotfl:

Actually my mom had the same experience but in a different model/brand. Sudden acceleration on reverse; luckily she was backing out into a wide empty street and she just drove around in a circle in the middle of the street.
dokol

PreviousNext

Return to Clubhouse Talk