Driver vs fairway wood graphite shafts?

Any and all discussions on fitting, shafts, grips, swing weight and matters for the do-it-yourselfers are open for discussion

Moderators: w2, xxio, Jack aMMo, parteeboy, ssp, jick, golpher, Dandy, temiatwork, weed_whacker, judaschylde, leftys59, qt_arvin, tjgato

Driver vs fairway wood graphite shafts?

Postby Whingeing Pom » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:27 pm

I'm a newbie in this area. Is there a reason why manufacturers tend to put different shafts in their drivers vs their fairway woods?
I love the feel of the True Temper EI-70 regular flex in my Titleist 975D. I recently bought a 15* 980F with a shortened (by 1" from stock, I reckon) Aldila NV 65-S that's too stiff. Would anyone advise against hunting down another EI-70 for the 3 wood?
I like the idea of matching shafts in woods - for performance reasons, not cosmetics :D If not an EI-70, can anyone recommend a good fairway wood match to the EI-70?
Thanks much!
P.S. Now looking for a 19* 980F if anyone has one - not "Strong", just "Pro Trajectory".
Whingeing Pom

Postby parteeboy » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:01 am

You can put the EI-70 on your fairway wood. Just make sure you get the right tip size. As a driver shaft, that's a little on the heavy side but if you like it ...

BTW, what's a prehistoric spalding putter? Is that the one Fred Flintstone carried or was it Barney's? :D
Cleveland DST Tour 10.5°
TM R9 3-wood 15°
Kasco Power Tornado 44 19°
MP-68 4-PW
TM xFT 52.09° & 58.12°
Bettinardi C-02h or Odyssey Tri-Ball SRT 33"
parteeboy

Postby Whingeing Pom » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:48 am

parteeboy wrote:You can put the EI-70 on your fairway wood. Just make sure you get the right tip size. As a driver shaft, that's a little on the heavy side but if you like it ...

Ah ha! So driver shafts are heavier, inch for inch? I'd just assumed they were heavier because they're longer.

parteeboy wrote:BTW, what's a prehistoric spalding putter? Is that the one Fred Flintstone carried or was it Barney's? :D

:D Actually it's the wrong term. My prehistoric putter is the one I use in England, with a wooden shaft, bronze head and leather grip. It belonged to my great grandfather, though he might not have been the original owner!
I found my current putter in Zimbabwe a mere 12 years ago. But it has no name on it other than Spalding, so I have to call it something!
Whingeing Pom

Postby parteeboy » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:56 am

Whingeing Pom wrote:
parteeboy wrote:You can put the EI-70 on your fairway wood. Just make sure you get the right tip size. As a driver shaft, that's a little on the heavy side but if you like it ...

Ah ha! So driver shafts are heavier, inch for inch? I'd just assumed they were heavier because they're longer.

Sorry if I wasn't very clear. It's the same shaft so it's heavier only because it's longer. However, this shaft is in the 80+gram range uncut at 46". A lot of the stock driver shafts are only in the 50 to 60+ gram range or even 70+ grams but hardly 80+ stock. This also means your head might feel a bit light because you're putting more weight higher up. You don't seem to mind though so it's fine. When you install the same shaft on your fairway woods, you might need to balance the weight if you don't feel it's right. You do this by adding weight to the head or the grip. Watch the total weight though because it might start becoming too heavy overall. :)

For reference your Aldila NV-65 stiff shaft is only about 67 grams uncut 46" while the same length EI-70 regular on the 350" tip is about 81 grams. You should feel the approx. 15 gram increase one way or the other.
Cleveland DST Tour 10.5°
TM R9 3-wood 15°
MP-68 4-PW
TM xFT 52.09° & 58.12°
parteeboy

Postby xxio » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:36 am

The closest thing to a modern day EI70 I feel is the Graphite Design YS7. I also loved the EI70 in my 975D.

The EI 70 is also a great fairway wood shaft because it has a bit of kick if you don't trim it. Meaning stable because of the heavy weight design and still launches the ball pretty goo.

All Titleist drivers and FWs are .335 tip.

The EI70 II wasn't as good.
xxio

Re: Driver vs fairway wood graphite shafts?

Postby Jakarta_After_Dark » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:43 am

Whingeing Pom wrote:I like the idea of matching shafts in woods - for performance reasons, not cosmetics

Just want to explore further on this point you raised. I have an Aldila-NV 65-R 350 shaft on my TM R5 which fits me. From the fairway, I normally hit my hybrid, a Cobra Baffler 18* with an Aldila NV-HL mid-kick 65g shaft with more consistency (in terms of direction and length) than my 3 wood. My current 3-wood is a Cobra SZ Hyper Steel with a 45-g stiff flex (low kick) Mitsubishi Rayon SL-45 shaft, which I tend to push if not slice if I muscle the shot (no such probs with the driver and hybrid though).

I was in the golf store this afternoon and spotted an Adams XTD fairway hybrid #3, loaded w/ the stock Aldila shaft 65g. Given my relative success w/ 1) the shaft; and 2) the hybrid club vs. my 3-wood, I am seriously considering buying the Adams fairbrid. For the equipment experts amongst you, does this make sense?

I also wonder if the XTD will give me extra distance? If I hit the 3-wood on the button, it blends just right w/ my current set make-up with consistent distance spacing. Just wonder if the XTD 3-wood replacement would be longer or shorter than my current 3-wood (which will make my 2-replacement hybrid redundant).
Jakarta_After_Dark

Postby Shambles » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:00 am

Whingeing Pom wrote:I'm a newbie in this area. Is there a reason why manufacturers tend to put different shafts in their drivers vs their fairway woods?
I love the feel of the True Temper EI-70 regular flex in my Titleist 975D. I recently bought a 15* 980F with a shortened (by 1" from stock, I reckon) Aldila NV 65-S that's too stiff. Would anyone advise against hunting down another EI-70 for the 3 wood?
I like the idea of matching shafts in woods - for performance reasons, not cosmetics :D If not an EI-70, can anyone recommend a good fairway wood match to the EI-70?
Thanks much!
P.S. Now looking for a 19* 980F if anyone has one - not "Strong", just "Pro Trajectory".

I doubt you'll get the same feel of that shaft on the three wood as on the driver. By using the same shaft you'll get the graduated feel that is standard on matching sets, if the pro who sets it up for you is good, but any attempts to get the same feel will probably be a touch chancy and you could end up with a shaft that has to be reduced to use on a utility wood or an iron. In a matching set the driver has the lowest kick point and it goes up little by little as the shaft gets shorter. CAVEAT : That's how they did it in the old days.

These days there are so many shafts built so many ways I'm pretty much confused about what goes where. I suggest you take your driver and 3 wood to a good pro and have a talk with him about possible solutions.

Shambles
Shambles

Postby jick » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:51 am

Fairway wood and driver shafts don't really match nowadays because the needs for a driver are different from that of a fairway wood. This is why a cursory check of clubmaking sites like Golfsmith will reveal that many popular shaft models have branched out to make fairway-wood specific shafts.

The EI-70 is a really good fairway wood shaft, but is heavy by modern day standards. It would be hard to find a fairway wood shaft to match it since most are probably lighter and it would be a really odd balance to have a lighter shaft in the fairway wood over a driver.

Your options would be to somehow find an EI-70 to stick in your fairway wood, or to take out the EI-70 from your driver and replace it with another lighter shaft, and then move the EI-70 to your 3-wood.
Ping G20 Bubba 9.5 UST Mamiya VTS Tour SPX 6S
Adams Super XTD 3W Fubuki
Adams Super XTD 19* Hybrid YSQ
Nike Golf SQ Machspeed Forged 4-PW KBS C-Taper
Bettinardi Custom Wedge 52, 56,60
Bettinardi Signature Model Two
Click to like REDGOLF on Facebook
jick
Marshall

Postby parteeboy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:57 am

Jakarta_After_Dark wrote:I was in the golf store this afternoon and spotted an Adams XTD fairway hybrid #3, loaded w/ the stock Aldila shaft 65g. Given my relative success w/ 1) the shaft; and 2) the hybrid club vs. my 3-wood, I am seriously considering buying the Adams fairbrid. For the equipment experts amongst you, does this make sense?

I also wonder if the XTD will give me extra distance? If I hit the 3-wood on the button, it blends just right w/ my current set make-up with consistent distance spacing. Just wonder if the XTD 3-wood replacement would be longer or shorter than my current 3-wood (which will make my 2-replacement hybrid redundant).

You should seriously look into this club. It might work for you. I have concluded that my next purchase will be either a A3 XTD, XTD Pro, or A4 XTD 3-wood. Unlike other 3 woods, I can get this up in the air and it goes further than my 5-wood. I also don't see any distance penalty for the shorter shaft. In fact, the ball speeds I was getting on the launch monitor were very close to my driver's ball speed.
Cleveland DST Tour 10.5°
TM R9 3-wood 15°
MP-68 4-PW
TM xFT 52.09° & 58.12°
parteeboy

Postby Jakarta_After_Dark » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:28 pm

Thanks, if I get the chance, I will give it a try. The other one I saw was a 15* Ping G10. Anyone here had experience with this particular club?
Jakarta_After_Dark

Postby Island Par » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:46 pm

parteeboy wrote:
BTW, what's a prehistoric spalding putter? Is that the one Fred Flintstone carried or was it Barney's? :D

More like what captain caveman used :D
Callaway FT IQ
MacGregor 16* 4W (It's back and meaner than ever!)
Wilson Fybrid 5W & 20H
Mizuno MX-900's 4-PW
53* and 58* Wedges
Odyssey White Hot#7
Island Par

Postby parteeboy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:59 pm

Jakarta_After_Dark wrote:Thanks, if I get the chance, I will give it a try. The other one I saw was a 15* Ping G10. Anyone here had experience with this particular club?

That's just a new version of the normal 3-wood. It's supposed to have more MOI, repositioned CG, etc. to help you get the ball up in the air like all the new ones do. Still doesn't work for me. It might work for you though.
Cleveland DST Tour 10.5°
TM R9 3-wood 15°
MP-68 4-PW
TM xFT 52.09° & 58.12°
parteeboy

Postby parteeboy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:00 pm

Island Par wrote:
parteeboy wrote:

More like what captain caveman used :D

And son ... :D
Cleveland DST Tour 10.5°
TM R9 3-wood 15°
MP-68 4-PW
TM xFT 52.09° & 58.12°
parteeboy

Return to Clubmakers' Forum